September 28, 2008

Gluten-Free Cornbread

We all have our favorite quite treat.  The one you make, and then eat the entire pan in one day.  It could be chocolate cake, pie, ice cream, bread, cinnamon rolls...the list could go on and on.  Mine, it's corn bread.  I've always adored corn bread, from the very first time I made it.  I think I was 12, and it was the recipe that I found on the back of a bag.  It was so good, I cut it out, and for years I followed that little plastic slip.  Eventually though, I lost it.  It's been so long, I don't even remember what brand I used, heck, for all I know, you can't even get that brand out this way.  

Then, a few months ago, I found a very good one posted by Natalie over at Gluten Free Mommy [here].  I have enjoyed it many time, but every time I made it, and promptly devoured it, I felt a little guilty.  All the refined carbs!  Now, don't get me wrong, I am anything but anti-carb.  I live for carbs.  Give me my pasta, my rice, my potatoes, and I am one happy lady.  But, I don't normally eat a whole bag of pasta, or rice, or potatoes in one go.  So, I needed to make some changes.

Damn, am I glad I did!  My new cornbread recipe has flavor, and texture, and sweetness, and staying power.  It's Divine!  Please give it a try, and if you like something a little less dense, I highly recommend Natalie's.

Lower Carb, Gluten-free Corn Bread

I won't lie, while lower carb, it's not lower fat - but it's mainly healthy fats :)

1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt 
3 Tbsp agave syrup
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup oil
2 beaten eggs

Set oven to 400 F.  Place 1 Tbsp coconut oil in your pan (I use my cast iron pan - which is either 8 or 10").  Put pan in oven to come to temperature and melt the oil.

In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder.

In small bowl, or large measuring cup, combine agave syrup, almond milk, oil and eggs.

When oven reaches temperature, add liquid mixture to corn mixture.  Whisk until combined.  Take pan out of oven, and scoop batter into pan, smoothing once all is in.  Bake in middle of the oven for 30 minutes.

No comments: