October 13, 2008

Warm weather in a jar

In the last year and a bit, I have discovered the joy of making preserves.  As a result I have more jam than I can even dream of eating.  Christmas presents, here we come!  

Last year when I first started canning my own stuff, everything I made was from inside Certo packages.  Strawberry jam, Strawberry Rhubarb jam, Blueberry Jam, Plum Jam, Salsa - wait, that one came from Bernardin, same idea.  They're all delicious, but since anyone can get the recipes, I wont bore you with them.  However, my Golden Plum Jam, Raspberry-Cherry Jam, Blackcurrant-Blueberry Jam, and Oma's Apple Sauce, those you can only get from me.  And lucky for you, it's not too late for Apple Sauce!

Photo courtesy of FreeFoto.com
Oma's Apple Sauce

This is a rough recipe, as I didn't measure anything, and I had very basic directions to go on.  Between my Mom and Dad's memories of Oma's Apple Sauce I managed to make this.

Peel, slice and core apples.  I used enough to fill my large cooking pot.  Place about 1 inch water in pot with apple slices.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until slices are tender and can be mashed with a fork.  Remove from heat.  Sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon - to taste - and mash with a potato masher.  Enjoy right away, cool and store in Fridge, or preserve in hot, sterilized canning jars (use a boiling canner for 20 minutes).


Blackcurrent-Blueberry Jam

2 cups blackcurrants
2 cups wild blueberries
1 cup splenda
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 pouch liquid pectin *I used Certo brand

Crush blackcurrants and blueberries.
In large sauce pan bring a boil along with lime juice.
Add splenda and sugar
Boil rapidly for one minute.
Remove from heat and stir in pectin.
Stir for 5 minutes, removing foam.
Ladle into sterilized, hot canning jars.  Seal, and place in boiling water for 15 minutes.  

This jam has a tart undertone.  If you do not like tart foods, increase the splenda or sugar.  This will most likely affect the texture of the jam, but with a good stirring it should still be quite enjoyable.


Gingered Plum Jam

Approx 35 Golden Plums
2 Tbsp ginger paste
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup splenda
1 package light pectin *I used Certo Light

Pit plums and puree in food processor.
In large sauce pot combine plum puree ginger, and lemon juice.
Combine pectin with 1/4 cup sugar, and add to plum mixture.
Bring mixture to a boil and add remaining sugar and splenda.
Boil hard for one minute.
Remove from heat, stir for five minutes while removing foam.
Ladle into sterilized, hot canning jars.  Seal, and place in boiling water for 15 minutes. 

This makes a more saucy jam, and is fantastic on pancakes.

Raspberry-Cherry Jam

1 3/4 cup pureed raspberries
3 1/2 cups pureed cherries
3 1/4 cup sugar
1 package light pectin *again I used Certo Light

Combine raspberries, cherries and 1/4 cup sugar mixed with pectin in a large sauce pan.
Bring mixture to a boil and add remaining sugar and splenda.
Boil hard for one minute.
Remove from heat, stir for five minutes while removing foam.
Ladle into sterilized, hot canning jars.  Seal, and place in boiling water for 15 minutes. 

No comments: