September 20, 2008

Chocolaty Triumph!

Finally!!  Just as I had pretty well given up hope, and all attempts at re-creating my beloved Chocolate Saucy Pudding Cake (courtesy of my ex) I have success.  For almost a month I have been making attempts at this cake, I have been slaving away in the kitchen, excitedly taking it out of the oven, photographing it because it looked good, taking a beautiful scoop, taking a bite, and almost screaming, cursing, throwing it across my tiny, little kitchen.  For goodness sake, I managed to go through an ENTIRE container of cocoa powder.  Who the hell, besides me, needs that many goes at a bloody simple recipe.  

No one.

But oh, the sweet taste of triumph.  It's even better than actually eating it.  

While the texture is not quite the same as the original, at least not so far as I can remember, the taste not so sweet, my word, I personally think this one is even better.  The taste is a little more grown-up, and the texture, there is a little more tooth to it.  I can't wait for my potluck.  I think I'll be showing everyone just how well you can eat even when you're gluten-free!

With no further adu, allow me to present my version of the Ex's cake.
GF Chocolate Cake with Hot Sauce

In an 8" square baking dish combine:

2/3 cup GF flour *see note
1/3 cup sweet  rice flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar

In a small bowl, combine:

1/4 cocoa powder
1/2 cup melted hard margarine (use butter if desired)

To flour mixture add:

cocoa/butter mixture
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk (use dairy or other alternative milk if desired)

Will make a very thick batter.  Make sure it is spread to all edges and corners for even cooking.

In additional bowl, combine:

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa

Sprinkle sugar and cocoa over batter.  Pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over the entire mixture.

Bake at 350 F for 70 minutes.


*GF flour used:
I made a slightly different flour mix this time.  It is fairly similar to the one I normally use, so that should also work - cooking times may need to be adjusted.

Flour mix:
3 parts corn flour
2 parts soy flour
3 parts potato starch
1 part sweet rice flour

No comments: