October 13, 2008

Happy Turkey Day - Canadian that is

This weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving.  The day we all come to a dead stop and fill ourselves with as much food as possible.  Every day of this long weekend, I've been able to smell Turkey's roasting.  They smell so damn good, and I'm not even a fan of Turkey.  While every other family was putting a giant Turkey on the family table, my family was putting a, tiny in comparison, roast chicken on ours.  Instead of mashed potatoes, we ate potato dumplings.  Sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, turnips, all those traditional veggies we replaced with pickled red cabbage and canned peas.   To me, that is a proper Thanksgiving dinner.

Well, to be honest, I never liked the red cabbage.  And I prefer frozen peas to canned peas.  I do love  sweet potatoes, carrots and green beans.  But Turkey?  No, I'm with my family on that one.  And potato dumplings.  That is the most important part of the meal.  So important, that when my Mother informed me that they were having mashed potatoes in stead, I was in shock.  For my supper, I had potato dumplings.  But, this post isn't really about Thanksgiving dinner.  Mine looked ugly, Roast Chicken, while delicious is nothing special to make.  Potato dumplings have ALWAYS come from a box - and amazingly enough, to my profound excitement, a box that didn't contain gluten.  The stuffing I tried making was just gross, and the veggies, were just cauliflower and asparagus.  No, this post is about the left overs.

I made a full dinner...for just me.  Now, I'm a big eater, and did eat almost the whole box of potato dumplings, but even I can't eat EVERYTHING.  So, what is a girl to do with all those leftovers?  After a quick glance in my pantry I decided to make, Saucy Chicken and Pea Rice.  Kind of weird name, fantastic taste :)


Saucy Chicken and Pea Rice

Left over chicken and gravy from one roast chicken
One bowl of frozen peas, defrosted
1 unit of rice cooked in rice cooker *I used arborio rice

Combine all components, and leave on in rice cooker, on warm setting until chicken is warmed through.  Serve, and enjoy.  

No comments: