January 6, 2009

New Beginnings

The new year has arrived, and with it, hopefully some new beginnings.  I have decided what I'm hoping for, other than a fresh slate, but I think I like it that way.  This way, if something doesn't come to pass, I won't disappointed, and whatever goes well, will just be an added bonus.  

Out this way 2009 arrived with a bang.  Lucky us, we were hit with a blizzard.  Not just some flurries, or even a decent amount of snow.  No, there was snow, and there was wind.  Lots of wind.  Near hurricane force wind.  Amazingly enough, I didn't lose power!  I did however, huddle inside, drinking lots of lovely tea, and reading a book.  Sadly, I have already forgotten what book it was, but I know it was good.

Back to the new beginnings.  I have a simple and delicious one right here, a satisfying bowl of popped amaranth.  In my case I used blueberries as an add in, and almond milk as the liquid, but use whatever you have on hand, or prefer.  Any milk or milk substitute would be fine, and any berry or cup up fruit would be fantastic.  With this leading the day, how can you not be hopeful for new beginnings?


Popped Amaranth Cereal

1/4 cup amaranth
handful of berries or fruit
milk or substitute for serving

Bring a large empty sauce pan to heat over medium-high.  Pour in amaranth and stir constantly.  After a while it will begin to pop, much like popcorn.  Don't stop stirring!

Once most of the amaranth has popped remove from heat, and pour into bowl.  Top with fruit and milk/milk sub.  Serve and eat as you would any other bowl of Cereal.  Yummy!!

No comments: