November 23, 2008

Sugar Cookies

With the Holiday Season fast approaching I have decided that it is time for me to attempt some cookie recipes.  Really, I just want to try to figure out several kinds before tackling my beloved Lebkuchen.  If any one cookie needs to be successful, that would be the one.  Hopefully in my pursuit, I'll figure out a couple other yummy ones.  

That and I wanted to enter at least one cookie into Susan's (AKA Food Blogga) Holiday Cookie Round-Up (just click on the logo to go to the round-up).  


So, I figured I should start with something both easy for me to try to convert, and for gluten eaters to make for their gluten-free guests.  Sugar Cookies seemed like a promising cookie type, and one that should easily fit those two requirements.  So if you're a gluten eater, and you're planning making this for a non-gluten eater, feel free to replace the two starches with whatever starch you have on hand (ie./ cornstarch) and then you can easily just pick up some sorghum, or even ask to "borrow" a cup.  I'm sure your guest-to-be would be happy to help if it means they too can enjoy some cookies.


Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1 cup sorghum flour

Cream butter with sugar and salt.  When well creamed add vanilla and egg, and combine thoroughly.  Slowly incorporate starches and flour until you have a smooth dough. 

Chill for 30 min or so, until stiffened.  Form dough into smallish balls (1.5 cm in diameter), and keep in fridge until ready to use.  

Heat oven to 375 F,  flatten dough ball on a cookie sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart, and bake for 10 minutes.  Cool and serve.

Makes 5 dozen cookies

3 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

This is so thoughtful of you to post a gluten-free cookie. Plus, they're so good, I think everybody will love them, whether they eat gluten free or not! Thanks!

Karen said...

This is a nice addition to Susan's cookie blog. Everyone loves sugar cookies and it's nice that this recipe is adapted for people who are gluten free!

K. Horn said...

Thanks for the sweet comments Susan and Karen. I would love it if there is a gluten-free individual out there that gets to enjoy cookies with everyone else this holiday season.