December 10, 2008

Creamy Cashew Rice with Vegetables

I have no story to go with this dish.  You see, there was no inspiration, in reality this was a dish of desperation.  I failed to do a proper grocery run this past weekend, and therefore the pickings are going to get very slim before Sunday rolls around.  Frankly I have images of me eating nothing but plain rice for a day or two...and I have to say, I really hope that does not come to pass.


In my cupboard, when I went looking today, I found rice and cashews, in the fridge onions, carrots and a pint of grape tomatoes, and finally in the freezer I found the ends of a bag of frozen peas.  This is pretty much what I have to work with for the remainder of the week - do not expect any great recipes after today until I've been shopping!  But for something that was hobbled together, I have to say, it might just be a new favorite budget friendly meal. To make it even better, it took me no more than 30 minutes to prepare, cook, and serve.  Who can complain about that?



Creamy Cashew Rice with Vegetables

1 cup arborio rice
3 cups stock
1/2 cup plain cashews
1 carrot
1 onion
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, cut in quarters
coconut oil, or oil of your choice
sprinkle of cheese, optional

In a medium sauce pan bring the stock to a boil.  Add rice and cashews, reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, slice onion and carrot.  Heat some oil in a frying pan over medium heat.  When hot add onion and carrot and cook until starting to soften.  Add the peas, and cook stirring until everything is cooked through.  Finally add the tomatoes, reduce heat to low, and leave until rice is ready - giving the occasional stir.

When rice has absorbed the stock, remove from heat and give it a good stir to make sure the cashews are well mixed in.

Serve rice with vegetables over top.  Make 3-4 servings, depending on size.

No comments: